Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's the Little Things

I am currently sitting on the couch eating Taco Bell and watching "The Big Lebowski". I know what you're thinking: "So?"

So, this is something that pre-married me would not have been excited about at all. This is something that pre-married me would have done almost daily, with a rotating selection of fast foods and cinematic masterpieces. But married me noticed today that this is something exciting.

Just because the things we used to do when we were younger are not age appropriate now, doesn't necessarily make them any less enjoyable. Just because we have to be responsible now, eat right so we don't have a heart-attack at 40, exercise so our spouse will continue to think we're attractive and go to work everyday without being under the influence of any controlled substances doesn't mean that we can't take a little time out every once in a while to remind ourselves of the selves we used to be. Not to recapture it, but to compare it to the selves we are now and to admire how far we've come.

So, while C is in DC this weekend interviewing for a very prestigious position within the Federal Government, I will continue to compare my current self to my former self by going out with my buddies tonight to a bar that serves beer in plastic cups and playing foosball at $1.00 a game all night without thinking even once about other and more productive ways I could have spent that money. And when I'm back at work on Monday, sober and wondering why I have to be so responsible all the time, I'll remind myself that being an adult isn't always fun, but it's an important part of growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment